Dixie Hollins High School
January 16, 2008
School Advisory Council Minutes
In attendance: Cindy Potter, Tammy Hill, Ronald Sullivan, Cynthia Sullivan, Donna Keller, Eric Zebley, Jim Wilfert, Katie Wilfert, Mollie Wilfert, Erin Hadala, Gina Hadala, Debra Jackson, Marcia Miller, and Mike Bohnet
Call to Order: John Dockerty unable to attend. Mr. Bohnet called the meeting to order at 7:10p.m.
Mr. Bohnet thanked the PTSA members for staying to attend SAC meeting. Welcome to everyone for attending SAC.
Approval of minutes: December 11, 2007, minutes were approved and seconded.
· Mr. Bohnet reviewed all of the sports events in January. Wrestling is especially doing a great job this year.
· Exams this week Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Everything is going very well.
· JROTC will be participating in the Martin Luther King Parade on Monday, January 21, 2008
· FCAT Success Clinic /Spaghetti Dinner will be Tuesday, January 22. He would like as many people to attend as possible. District staff as well as Dixie Hollins teachers will be there explaining how students can prepare and pass FCAT.
· Ms. Keller wants to know what the school has for children with substance abuse. She wanted to know if we had brochures somewhere on campus for students to pick up. Mr. Bohnet advised we have to social workers. Blossom Kapper who is here every day and Debbie Belk who is here twice a week. He advised that they would have that information in their office. Mr. Bohnet explained that Debbie Belk is based out of Azalea and can be called over if there is an emergency. There are also two SROs on campus who do a great job spotting problems with students.
· The Wilfert twins questioned the process for exempting exams. Mr. Bohnet explained the process and advised that the rules for exempting come down from the county office.
· Ms. Keller wanted to know when parents would know about which school their student would attend. Ms. Keller also questioned the busing process for students who live out of the Dixie area and have attended Dixie and wish to continue. Mr. Bohnet explained the process as it stands at this time.
· Erin Hadala questioned when the new schedules will be out for students. Mr. Bohnet advised next Tuesday, January 22.
· Ms. Sullivan questioned why when our sports teams are doing well why there is nothing written in the Times. Mr. Bohnet will talk to the coaches to see if anything can be done to get articles about Dixie’s sports in the paper.
· Ms. Miller reported on the fundraiser January 17, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Everyone please bring family and friends because 10% of the total profit goes to Dixie Hollins SAC.
· Student Erin Hadala on what is going on in Ms. Essary’s graphic art class.
· Cindy Potter reviewed how PTSA is doing getting ready for the senior party. Mr. Bohnet asked what SAC could do to help. Ms. Keller suggested since Mr. Bohnet would be giving out ice cream coupons the day of the fundraiser at McDonalds that possibly we could get some coupons for the senior party. Ms. Miller said she would get some ice cream coupons for the party. Ms. Miller suggested based on the turn out at the fundraiser that possibly SAC could donate a gift. Mr. Dockerty will be charging PTSA only $1.00 for the senior t-shirts for the senior party.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned 8:10P.M.
Next Meeting: February 12, 2008
Community Involvement Liaison, Dixie M. Hollins High School